Position Title: Fair Shot for All Coalition Coordinator
Duration: Temporary Position (through July 2015)
Hours: .75 Full Time Equivalent (30 hours/week)
Compensation: $3-4,000/month depending on experience. Access to benefits will be based on the type of employment arrangement agreed upon. Open to both a temporary employee or consulting arrangement.
Background on the Fair Shot for All Coalition
Our vision: We envision an Oregon that provides equal access to economic opportunity for all and not just a privileged few. Furthermore, we believe that increased equity in opportunity will result from a shared focus on resolving the economic disparities faced by people of color, women, immigrants, LGBTQ people and working families.
What we do: We work together to advance a shared legislative and campaign agenda. We determine our priorities each year through a collaborative and representative process that includes a diverse alliance of community-based advocacy organizations and labor organizations employing models of shared leadership. We prioritize work that advances racial and gender-equity and that reduces overall income and wealth inequality. We value organizing in our communities, involving the people most affected by the policies we seek to change, and supporting leadership development. We balance the need for short- term concrete policy change and for broader, visionary, long-range work to change to our economic system toward more equitable outcomes for all.
We seek a qualified candidate to serve as Coalition Coordinator for the Fair Shot for All Coalition. This individual will work regularly with the Steering Committee (composed of 8-10 experienced advocacy and labor organizations), as well as with a membership base of several dozen organizations and an array of additional partners and supporters. Our coalition will convene regularly as a full membership, as a Steering Committee, as well as through subcommittees focused on specific issue areas. The Coordinator will act centrally to facilitate effective communication, engagement, and decision-making for both the membership and the Steering Committee, and will offer support in connecting work of the subcommittees with the full coalition. Work will predominantly be focused internally, but will also include regular communication and interaction with external partners through ally meetings and inquiries. As the dedicated central representative for the Coalition, the Coordinator can expect to have a role in all areas of our work, from communications and outreach to record-keeping and fund development. This position is anticipated to start in January 2015, will be based in Portland, OR, housed at Family Forward Oregon.
Roles & Responsibilities
General Coalition Coordination
- Serving as the primary point of contact, resource and information clearinghouse for Fair Shot for All Coalition activities, policy campaigns, people, and partnerships
- Managing, coordinating and documenting work plan with the Steering Committee and subcommittees
- Responsible for logistics, coordinating and organizing the Steering Committee, and broader Fair Shot for All Coalition meetings
- Coordinating agenda building with Steering Committee & Chair(s), facilitation, and note-taking for meetings
- Tracking Fair Shot for All Coalition legislative and policy priorities
- Coordinating with the Campaign Director to ensure internal and external operations are in sync
- Regularly update Steering Committee members through joint meetings and one-on-one contacts
- Identifying and researching fundraising opportunities and coordinate involvement of Steering Committee
- Managing and coordinating record-keeping and reporting on our work to members, Steering Committee and our funders
- Developing a long-term plan for supervising and supporting volunteers and interns
- Maintaining and updating a current calendar of meetings and events
- Managing logistics for other regular Fair Shot for All Coalition meetings
- Providing orientation for new members or representatives
- Managing annual renewal of members and surveying interests
Outreach & Communications
- Managing internal communications including central database and contact lists
- Coordinate with communications support team to ensure internal and external communications are in sync
- Maintaining regular communication with membership, including updates on work and invitations and reminders for events
- Work with communications team to coordinate external communications with Steering Committee, including producing presentations, visuals, and other materials
- Identifying and planning for special presentations, forums, and other public opportunities to engage stakeholders
- Higher education degree and/or relevant experience
- Strong written and interpersonal communication skills
- Excellent organizational and record keeping skills
- Experience working with a diverse range of stakeholder organizations and leadership
- Strong facilitation skills
- Understanding of economic inequity and racial & gender justice frameworks
- Significant experience working with people of color and community of color organizations
- Experience working with labor organizations
- Proven ability to work independently
- Proficient with technology including word processing, Powerpoint, spreadsheets
- Able to regularly use a computer/phone, walk, bend, and climb stairs. Must be able to maneuver, lift and carry event materials, packages and supplies up to 25 pounds. Offices and buildings are totally smoke-free.
- Experience writing grants or project proposals
- Understanding of Oregon's political and policy-making history and process
- Ability to speak another language
- Anti-oppression, anti-racism, diversity, equity and inclusion work experience
How to Apply
Please send the following before Thursday, January 15th at 5 pm:
- A two-page or less cover letter describing your interest in the position and how you met the qualifications
- Your resume
- Three references with title, organization, phone and email contact information (including current supervisor if possible)
- A response to the following (in one page max 12 pt font):
- Offer a brief analysis of economic equity, being sure to include a racial and gender justice lens.
Please send your complete application to email@example.com and include "Fair Shot for All Coalition Administrator" in the subject line of your emailed application.
Please direct any questions about this position to firstname.lastname@example.org.