The Fair Shot For All Coalition is a broad coalition of community, health service, and labor organizations from across Oregon that are pushing for real policy solutions that address economic inequality. We are working together to advance an agenda that creates opportunities for working families to thrive, and that resolves historic and systemic economic inequities for people of color, LGBTQ people, immigrants and women. We envision an Oregon that provides equal access to economic opportunity for all and not just a privileged few.
In the 2015-16 legislative sessions, we helped win big victories for Oregonians including raising the minimum wage, passing paid sick leave, ensuring that everyone has a secure path to save for retirement, reducing barriers to employment by banning the criminal background box from job applications, and banning profiling by law enforcement.
We are now accepting proposals for the 2017-2018 Legislative Agenda. In order to be considered for placement on the 2017-18 Legislative Agenda, campaigns must meet the following criteria:
- advance racial, gender, and economic justice and meet the values listed in our Guiding Principles document
- be an existing campaign with a credible path to success
- commitment to organizing around the Fair Shot message framework in the campaign and clear goals around building power for Fair Shot
- be willing to share, welcome and incorporate feedback, and intensively collaborate on a written campaign plan with the Executive Committee and in some cases other Steering Committee members, and continue to collaborate frequently throughout the campaign
- be the primary, short-term focus of the lead organization and/or have a significant portion of the organization’s resources dedicated to the campaign
- be led by a Steering Committee Member or an organization that is willing to join the Steering Committee and adopt the entire agenda. Campaigns must be led by an organization, not an individual or coalition. In order to join the Steering Committee an organization must be a permanent organization that is grounded in organizing; share our values listed in the Guiding Principles; and be committed to building our movement.
Campaigns selected for the 2017-18 Legislative Agenda are eligible to receive resources from the coalition including professional communication and strategic consulting services and financial contributions. Just as important, campaigns will be made an organizing and lobbying priority for Fair Shot members.
How to Submit Proposals:
Written proposals are due June 27th. Please send proposals to Coalition Director, Heather Stuart at Heather@FairShotOregon.org. Selected proposals will be presented to the Steering Committee on July 12th and 13th and voted on by the Steering Committee later in July.
Written proposals should be no more than three pages and include the following information:
- sponsor/lead organizations;
- other coalition members and/or endorsing organizations;
- short description of the policy and how it fits into the economic justice and Fair Shot framework;
- description of impacted populations and the extent of the impact;
- estimated state budget impact;
- summarized history of the campaign, champions, opponents, obstacles, opportunities, and best guess of what it will take to win;
- anticipated and/or existing campaign roles and needs (i.e. campaign manager, communications, lobbyist, etc); and
- the support you’d like from the Fair Shot coalition.